Skip to main content

Pleasantly Unexpected


How many times have I sat down to a blank canvas armed with an idea, only to discover the final image was nothing like what I had anticipated?  Many artists are great at planning out their images and producing a final product that is identical to the real thing.  On rare occasions, this has happened to me.  More often than not, I start out with an idea and when I finish it has taken on a life of its own and turns into something entirely unexpected. 

Take for example my painting Wildfire. It started out as the beginning of a wooden water tank. This water tank would have had a water trough for sifting through sand to look for different treasures hidden in the Earth.  For some reason though, it was just not coming out right.  At that moment it just felt wrong.  So, I sat there staring at the beginning of this raw image and my hand.  My hand somehow became a focal point.  I started sketching out the lines of my hand on the canvas with my paintbrush.  All the while thinking I’ll paint over it later.  But then a flash of an image popped in my mind.  The image of this butterfly I had seen months prior in the woods.  I remembered wishing I could hold it.  And so, I painted a hand then the thought of creation and nature and forest fires.  The beauty of life overwhelmed my thoughts and before I knew it was painting fire with life in the flames.  Conveniently that wooden water tank perfectly fit my bear in the corner.  That was not planned.  It just worked out perfectly and I realized only after it was painted. As it was almost finished there was something missing.  Again, the butterfly flittered through my thoughts, only this time emerging to rest upon the palm of my painted hand as I had originally imagined.  

When I finished, I sat back and thought, “Wow, the hand of creation like a tree of life, a wildfire.” 
Hence the name, Wildfire and it is absolutely nothing like what I had planned on creating that day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EOTW art show piece...

24x14 Oil painting/Polymer Clay/Nails/Wire Titled: El Fin (The End) By. Shemaine Lozano  This is the piece that will be in the End Of The World art show at the art gallery "I Think 219"

What's coming up...

Hello all! The last few days have been rather hectic.  The Halloween party was a smash!  I made sure all the kids that attended got their faces painted, played lots of games, and I sent them all home so pumped up on sugar I’m sure their parents will be cursing me for weeks to come.   November is going to be a huge and exciting month for me.  Aside for the usual Thanksgiving with the family, I will also be participating in this year’s NaNoWrimo, and three art shows.  So, needless to say my hair is frazzled and I’m over caffeinated.  Thankfully Bibbly is just about geared up and ready to begin her wild adventure across the pages of my computer screen and my art pieces are ready for their grand debut.  For the month of December, I have two art pieces that I am working on.  One will be in the “End of the World (EOTW)” art show that is being thrown by the wonderful art gallery “I Think 219” in Big Spring Texas.  In the EOTW art show artist are supposed to create one piece of a

Breaking Free

24x48 oil painting on canvas Titled: Break Free By. Shemaine Lozano Hernandez